Help for CONFCHEM Archives

CONFCHEM Archives

Subject: Bob Belford: The CCCE will be hosting a
From: CCCE ConfChem <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Fri, 10 Jun 2016 07:26:04 -0500

To reply: http://confchem.ccce.divched.org/comment/995#comment-995 [1]

The CCCE will be hosting a second intercollegiate course in Cheminformatics
in the Fall of 2017 that schools both within and without the U.S. can offer,
this course will focus on Public Compound Databases and ways the data can be
used.  Anyone interested in offering this course, or contributing to the
lectures, should contact me off-list ([log in to unmask] [2]). In this course
(the Cheminformatics OLCC) we discuss material with students in a manner
similar to how we discuss the ConfChem papers, and this is the 20th
anniversary of the first OLCC (I think OLCCs may be the oldest online course
that are still being offered, just as ConfChem may be the oldest ongoing
online conference – this is our 23rd year).

For the next OLCC we are developing a module on chemical safety resources,
and the NIH NLM NCBI PubChem LCSS (Laboratory Chemical Safety Summaries),
https://pubchem.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/lcss/ [3],  might be more valuable than
MSDS in that all the data is linked, and comes from sources like OSHA,
CDC-NIOSH, NLM-TOXNET and the like.

Right now of the 98+ million compounds in PubChem only 5,065 have LCSS, but I
think this can be a valuable teaching resource and could be a way to
introduce some fundamentals of toxicology into the curriculum.  I am going
to try and paste into this comment a YouTube of an undergraduate student
project during the last OLCC where a student shows you how to take stockroom
inventory and connected it to pubchem and figure out which chemicals in that
inventory have LCSS. Please forgive her English, she is not a native English
speaker, and if the embedded YouTube does not work in this comment, here is
the link, https://youtu.be/4U_ziKsK-N8 [4].

Cheers,

Bob

Please do Not Reply to this Email.  Reply by going to
http://confchem.ccce.divched.org/comment/995#comment-995 [5] and create a
new comment or reply to an existing one.

further assistance contact Bob Belford at [log in to unmask] [8]

Message Content: The CCCE will be hosting a

[1] http://confchem.ccce.divched.org/comment/995#comment-995
[2] mailto:[log in to unmask]
[3] https://pubchem.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/lcss/
[4] https://youtu.be/4U_ziKsK-N8