Help for CONFCHEM Archives

CONFCHEM Archives

Subject: rjlanc: Inorganic Nomenclature
From: CCCE ConfChem <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Tue, 2 May 2017 09:30:17 -0500

To reply: https://confchem.ccce.divched.org/comment/1195#comment-1195 [1]

I too have been dismayed by the slowness of uptake of Nomenclature rules and
in some cases of authors making their own rules for use in their textbooks. I
did a quick survey of the dozen or so texts available in our library for a
first year course back in 1987 and commented on it in Journal of Chemical
Education, 1987, 64, 900-1.

For laboratory courses where names are expected, the more recent changeover
from chloro to chlorido may take a generation ??!!

With respect to errors I can't forget when in high school the Physics teacher
handed out a piece of paper for circulation to the class and told each
student to mark 1 foot according to the ruler we all carried around in those
days. When the 30-40 of us had finished it was amazing to see that the
difference between the shortest and longest foot was about half an inch!

Please do Not Reply to this Email.  Reply by going to
https://confchem.ccce.divched.org/comment/1195#comment-1195 [2] and create a
new comment or reply to an existing one.