Help for CONFCHEM Archives

CONFCHEM Archives

Subject: Bob Belford: Invariant Constant
From: CCCE ConfChem <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Mon, 1 May 2017 08:33:22 -0500

To reply: https://confchem.ccce.divched.org/comment/1181#comment-1181 [1]

Hi Peter,

First, I would like to thank you for sharing this paper with us and giving us
a chance to discuss such an important topic.  I actually have two questions.

First, you state, "Prompted by the need to redefine the kilogram, all SI Base
Units will be defined on invariants of nature. Consensus values for the
constants will be adopted as exact values with uncertainty."

What is meant by "exact values with uncertainty".  I thought uncertainty was
a property of inexact values.  For example, the number of letters in this
sentence is an exact value, with no uncertainty. But once printed, the weight
of the ink has uncertainty, and is an inexact value.  Do you mean, it is an
exact value with an agreed upon number of significant digits?

Second, and please forgive me if I am missing the obvious, but I thought the
new definition of the Kilogram was based on Planck's constant, but I am not
seeing that in the article.

Cheers,

Bob

Please do Not Reply to this Email.  Reply by going to
https://confchem.ccce.divched.org/comment/1181#comment-1181 [2] and create a
new comment or reply to an existing one.