Help for CONFCHEM Archives

CONFCHEM Archives

Subject: DelmarLarsen: My reference was short and
From: CCCE ConfChem <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Thu, 4 May 2017 00:59:03 -0500

To reply: https://confchem.ccce.divched.org/comment/1205#comment-1205 [1]

My reference was short and perhaps subject to confusion. I was referring to
making an alternative to textbook publishers so you do not need to try to
convince anyone.... that is the topic of the next newsletter.

However, since we are on the topic, it is clearly important to establish and
use standards as much as possible in both teaching and research. However, as
with all ideologies, dogmatic adherence and aggressive proselytizing of a
specific standard (IUPAC approved or otherwise) can be detrimental to future
advances (in the lab and otherwise); we must remember that science is
dynamic. I personally, could care less if a phase is subscripted in a
chemical reaction as long as it is clear what it means and no one gets
confused.

Try to remove the wavenumber unit from my research and my fellow
spectroscopists and I would revolt. We should be teaching our students
flexibility in their education (within reason), not rigid ideologies.

Please do Not Reply to this Email.  Reply by going to
https://confchem.ccce.divched.org/comment/1205#comment-1205 [2] and create a
new comment or reply to an existing one.