Help for CONFCHEM Archives

CONFCHEM Archives

Subject: DelmarLarsen: Jennifer:
From: CCCE ConfChem <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Fri, 5 May 2017 14:05:11 -0500

To reply: https://confchem.ccce.divched.org/comment/1207#comment-1207 [1]

Jennifer:

The original plan when we constructed the Libretext system (then ChemWiki)
was all content would be stored in the core and that the Modules in
Libretexts (then Wikitexts) and Textmaps copied (or transcluded) that content
within the context and organization of the other Modules in their respective
groupings. We have deviated from that greatly and most of the content in the
Core is not found in the Textmaps and Libretexts. That is why we consider the
modules in the Core to be more supplementary and of stand-alone nature to the
other two sections.

This approach is fairly consistent across the sub-fields; it is even
encouraged to favor a diversity of presentations. Sort of a fostering of free
evolution without a natural selection to favor a specific outcome(s).

The McMurry TextMap is being developed independently of the Core by Dietmar
Kennephol (Athabasca University) and others. When Steven Farmer (Sonoma State
Universe) originally built the Textmap infrastructure, he used a lot of the
Core content and a lot of Soderberg’s content (which is more focused on
biological O-chem rather than a traditional synthetic approach) and
Reusch’s content. However, this has gradually grown (and is still growing)
to be expanded or substituted with other content including some of Roberts
and Casserio’s textbook material. We hope to get the JSMol finally
integrated this summer so students will work with 3D molecules in the
Libretext for their course.

A clear vision? We know where we want to go, but much of our efforts favor
taking advantage of our current Development Team’s strengths, immediate
needs and obviously proposal goals. This is truly an organic (pun intended)
approach, since we are trying to build a community to push the project
forward.

Delmar

Please do Not Reply to this Email.  Reply by going to
https://confchem.ccce.divched.org/comment/1207#comment-1207 [2] and create a
new comment or reply to an existing one.