Help for CONFCHEM Archives

CONFCHEM Archives

Subject: Bob Belford: annotations vs. comments
From: CCCE ConfChem <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Fri, 12 May 2017 11:49:44 -0500

To reply: https://confchem.ccce.divched.org/comment/1210#comment-1210 [1]

Hi Jennifer,

My reasoning was a personal observation, in that it was very difficult to get
students to make comments, but easier to get them to make annotations.  I
may send my class a questionnaire to get some direct student feedback on
this, but my reasoning was based on my observations, not student statements.

That said, there is another surprising observation, which is the OLCC since
the Fall of 2015 has had 1208 comments, while since the Spring of 2014
ConfChem and the CCCE Newsletter have had a combined total of 1209
comments.  Now both of these had comments dealing with creating the website,
and I suspect that if we look, most of the OLCC comments are between
instructors (especially during the course development period), and not
between instructors and students.  But I had no idea that the total number
of comments on the OLCC site was roughly the same as the ConfChem/Newsletter
site.

I have no idea how many annotations are on the site, although 251 are tagged
"OLCC," that does not pick up the responses or annotations that were not
tagged, and so there are many more.

But if students do find annotations easier to make, maybe faculty would too,
and maybe the CCCE should look into their use for the ConfChem/Newsletter
site.

Cheers,
Bob

Please do Not Reply to this Email.  Reply by going to
https://confchem.ccce.divched.org/comment/1210#comment-1210 [2] and create a
new comment or reply to an existing one.