Help for CONFCHEM Archives

CONFCHEM Archives

Subject: Roy Jensen: Peter
From: CCCE ConfChem <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Tue, 2 May 2017 09:06:47 -0500

To reply: https://confchem.ccce.divched.org/comment/1194#comment-1194 [1]

Peter

You've hit on something that is a pet peeve of mine -- the adherence to
international standards by textbooks. Specifically the lack thereof. Sigh.
Consider:

 * SATP/STP were changed in 1982. Today, only about half of first-year
textbooks present the correct information.

 * inorganic nomenclature (IUPAC Red Book) was substantially revised in
2005. Basically zero textbooks present the correct information.

 * states of matter: are the subscript? italicized? To the best of my
knowledge, this has never changed. Why are first-year textbooks still all
over the map with this?

Sorry about the rant. I enjoyed reading about the upcoming new standards, but
I doubt textbooks will change anytime soon. But I will update my textbook
when they become official. www.ExploringChemistry.com [2]

Please do Not Reply to this Email.  Reply by going to
https://confchem.ccce.divched.org/comment/1194#comment-1194 [3] and create a
new comment or reply to an existing one.